Saturday, August 20, 2011

Walkabout

I have finally gotten a chance to jump onto my computer to tell you about an amazing little movie I stumbled upon last night.  Since not having cable, our family has resorted to kids movies on repeat (we have a lot, so it's not too bad) and Netflix or Hulu movies.  I've been trying to sort through the Criterion Collection to find some of the gems that speak to me and I found an Australian movie called Walkabout from 1971.

The images are all spectacular.  Every single one.  The beginning is a bit startling and gruesome but the entire movie is a journey in survival, communication and many symbolic visuals all set within the Australian outback.  A young woman (maybe high school age) and her younger brother (probably about 5 or 6) find themselves abandoned in the outback and are left to fend for themselves and find their way home.

It's an absolutely outstanding movie.  I highly highly recommend it - engaging, thought-provoking and beautiful.  Here are some of the spectacular screen shots you'll see if you seek it out:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails