Monday, October 18, 2010

My weekend


I was sort of dreading this weekend.  We had a long drive to San Diego with a little baby and the dogs and the rest of us.  

My friend Kelley, whom I'd known since 3rd grade, recently passed.  I hadn't really kept in touch with her much since high school {except for a bit on Facebook} but I guess I thought I'd always have a chance to catch up with her.  In fact, I had drafted an email to her {along with some other old friend mommies from Del Mar} and was about to send it the day I heard she was missing.   She was missing for a month and a half.  All her friends on Facebook were checking their accounts several times a day hoping for the best.  We didn't get the good news we were wanting.

I was always jealous of her beautiful red hair, her amazing vocabulary, her wit and sass, her kindness, her awesome athleticism.  I cannot imagine what it will be like for her darling son Cory not ever really getting to know his mommy.  It just breaks my heart.  I miss you Kelley.  You service was breathtaking and sweet and wonderful and perfect.  You would have loved it.

While Gretchen and I attended the service, Patrick and my family {including my brother} went to the brand new snake exhibit at the Natural History Museum.  We got our obligatory fill of ceviche at Point Loma Seafoods and I got to cruise the coast while Gretchen took her morning naps.  The weather was misty and rainy and drizzly and just what I needed.

I feel refreshed and ready for a spectacular fall filled with fun and food and lots of hugging and kissing the ones I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails