Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Duke's Hot Chocolate

For Pretty Mommy's Recipe Exchange I wanted to share something pretty special.  I wanted something that is easy and perfect for the season and also a little mind blowing - at least this recipe was for me.  How about a hot chocolate recipe you can take with you in your sweater-wrapped vintage plaid thermos to take your kids to their first snow, share with your family after Thanksgiving, or trekking the forest finding the perfect Christmas tree.  I'm posting this a bit early since I read from Michelle from Studio Surface's delicious post about her Potato Soup that she mentioned I was posting today.  I'm next on the list for Nov. 1st, so...I'm early in case you came looking for my recipe today :).  I just saw that Michelle is from Del Mar, my old hometown...I miss it.




This is the queen of all hot chocolate recipes - The Duke's Hot Chocolate.  I first read about it in the How to Eat Supper Cookbook.  It's scented with allspice, orange and vanilla. It's earth shatteringly good, if you ask me.

This hot chocolate dates back from 1632, and it it divine.  Pour your prepared hot chocolate in that thermos or in a pre-warmed teacup or mug and go straight to heaven.



From "The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper" by Lynne Rosetto Kasper & Sally Swift
INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 tsp allspice
1 tbsp vanilla (or seeds from a whole vanilla bean)
generous pinch salt
1/8 tsp pepper (optional)
1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
zest of 1 orange, minced
3 cups water, or 1/2 eater, 1/2 milk; or 1/2 water, 1/2 cream
10.5 - 12 oz bittersweet chocolate (see recommendation in Notes), broken up
DIRECTIONS
1. Mix all ingredients except chocolate; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 mins. Remove from heat and let cool for a few mins. Whisk in chocolate until smooth. Taste for sweetness and allspice. Serve hot.
NOTES:



* Makes 4-6 servings

*Can be held on the stove for 1 hour or longer and can be stored in the fridge up to 2 days

*Chocolate recommendations (in order of preference):
-- Lindt Excellence 70%
-- Valrhona 71%

-- Scarffen Berger 70%
-- Ghiradelli 70% Extra Bittersweet



*second image source unknown


Check out Sharon from I Can Totally Make That.  Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. you had me at "earth shatteringly good"
    ok, you had me at "hot chocolate" but now I am really drooling!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hot chocolate recipe totally made my day!! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE hot chocolate, and I love (and have) this cookbook- YET I haven't been able to dig in as much as I'd like to, and totally missed this recipe, so Thank You for sharing!! I'll let you know when I make it! I'll link it up on my next post (Yesterday's post was written in a hurry due to the fact I was "brain dead":).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails