Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Autumn Love Brown Rice Salad + variations...that rocks my world


Today I made it with fresh whole wheat berries from the farm.  But the basic recipe is the same.  Maybe it's the dressing or just the combination of it all but I LOVE THIS SALAD.  I've always been a huge fan of the prepared salads in the refrigerated case at Whole Foods.  This is better than any I've had there.

I decided to toast my wheat berries in a little olive oil before cooking in boiling water and I must say it made a little difference in the cooking time and the flavor.  Nice.

Ok, are you ready for it?  Here it is:

Autumn Love Brown Rice Salad
{+ variations}

Get a big bowl {I like making this in my great big glass bowl}

Lovingly prepare and place the following in the bowl:

3 cups cooked brown rice 
{or cooked wheat berries, or cooked quinoa or whatever you have} 

1 apple, diced 
{granny smith, or whatever you have is fine, maybe you could use asian pears too}

2 celery stalks, finely chopped 
{I didn't have any today so I used a cucumber - something mild and crunchy}

1 red bell pepper, chopped 
{I had yellow and orange mini bells, I used those}

1/2 bunch of green onions, chopped 
{or you could do a shallot or some chives if that makes you happy}

1/2 cup walnut pieces 
{I suppose you could use any nut - the farm has pistachios right now, but walnuts are nice - especially if you toast them first}

1 cup cooked chicken 
{or your protein of choice - garbanzos or baked tofu would be a nice alternative I think}

3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
{I didn't have any, I think this part is optional but it makes the salad look like a million bucks and adds another fresh component}

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

3 tablespoons olive oil 
{the Trader Joe's California Estate one in the long skinny bottle is stellar}

salt & pepper

Mix

Eat.  Smile.  Giggle with delight!

It's sweet salty oniony chewy crispy crunchy soft and perfect.  Just what a great salad should be.  I have to thank Tyler Florence for this one.  I saw this on an episode of Food 911 a looooong time ago.  Thanks Tyler!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails