Sunday, January 9, 2011

Punch and Pie

Punch and pie are the new cool foods.  Boy, that makes me happy.  I'll have to save pie for another blog post, 'cause it deserves it's own post.  However, I recently saw that darling Ree tweeted this simple sweet punch recipe.  I want to make a note of it here on the blog so I don't forget it for Gretchen's first birthday party in May when it's already gotten hot again.  This will really hit the spot.

thepioneerwoman: Punch Recipe: 2 liter bottle Hawaiian Punch, 2 liter bottle Ginger Ale, 1.75 quart carton raspberry sherbet, and a sweet tooth. Mix. Enjoy.

I'd love to serve it with some swirly straws in my mason jars I might never use if I don't break them out for this use {mental note: gotta make that orange marmalade before too long}.


If your in the mood for a more seasonal punch and you're a drinker {too bad I'm not}, this Smitten Kitchen milk punch recipe sounded scrumptious.   Just saying the words milk punch make me want it.  It's like egg nog's cool kid sister who listened to Mumford and Sons before anyone else.



My favorite media outlets Sunday Morning and NPR have featured punch stories.  You'll find in that punch came about from party-loving British sailors having trouble with their beer spoiling on long voyages.  So, in come the creative use of local ingredients found in India and Indonesia.  Punch has gone in an out of favor several times since its invention.  For me, punch makes me think of anything served in a punch bowl - with a kick.  My mom gave me this great punch bowl that has a spout and handle built-in.  I'm absolutely doing to use it for our next get-together.  I will do my part to make it cool again.

Being a kickless drinker, I'm going to start experimenting with some reworking of some vintage recipes. This might be a fun one to start with, since it's cold out.  Maybe I'll sub out the rum and brandy for pineapple juice and almond extract or molasses.

Here's Charles Dickens' Hot Punch from The Splendid Table:


Charles Dickens Hot Punch

Adapted from The Charles Dickens Cookbook by Brenda Marshall (Personal Library, Toronto, 1981).
This is taken from a letter Dickens wrote in 1847 where he gave his recipe for punch. Lynne changed one or two directions given in the original recipe that she felt may be dangerous to do today. This is a strong punch. Serve it in small quantities.
  • Zest of lemons, cut into several pieces each
  • 1 packed cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups dark rum
  • 1/2 cup brandy
  • Juice of 3 lemons
  • 4 cups very hot water
  • More sugar to taste
In a 4-quart saucepan combine the lemon zest, sugar, rum, and the brandy. Warm over low heat. Be sure there's no exhaust fan running. Stand well back as you light the liquid with a long match. When the flames have gone out, stir in the lemon juice and the water. Taste for sugar. Bring the punch to a very gentle bubble, cover completely and cook 10 minutes. Remove the lemon zest. Set aside up to 3 hours, or refrigerate overnight. Serve warm, ladled into handled cups.
Note from Lynne: My own touch here would be a few cinnamon sticks added with the lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails