Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How to crack a butternut

Butternuts are not a tough nut to crack.  They are so easy to chunk up and plunk on a sheet pan to roast all toasty crisp on the outside and smooth in the middle.  I made a little photo collage to show some of our CSA members how I do it.  Here it is:


You will find these little pear shaped friends all over the markets these days.  Don't do what I do and stare at it lovingly but never actually get at it.  Easily one of my top 5 favorite veggies and I forget how easy they are to handle.  See above.  Just blast these salted and oiled chunks in a hot oven at 425 for 20-30 min and devour.  I tend to nibble on them like crackers or nuts just off the sheet tray.  We do the same thing to our broccoli and call them broccoli fries for a pre-dinner snack with my kiddo.  We love 'em.

 Tell me, do you all already know this method?

2 comments:

  1. I slice off the top and bottom. Cut it in half length wise and dig out the seeds with a spoon. Then I peel it with a potato peeler. The rest is the same as you...cut into chunks, oil, salt, oven, yum! Maybe I'll try your way next time and see which way I like best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I had never tried a butternut squash, mostly because I had no idea how to cook it. Just tried this and love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails